Notice To Patrons of New Hawaii Sea Restaurant, Bronx, NY: A Class Action Settlement May Affect You.
>> The Court issued its Final Order Approving Class Certification and Class Settlement. The Claims Administrator is currently auditing numerous claim submissions as provided in the Court’s Order. This website will be updated once a date has been set for distribution of settlement checks.
A Settlement has been reached with New Hawaii Sea Restaurant concerning alleged exposure to the Hepatitis A virus. You may review the Detailed Notice of Settlement here.
Who Is Included?
You are included if:
- you consumed food or drink between September 7, 2013 and September 19, 2013 (the “Class Period”) at a restaurant owned by Defendant Williamsbridge Restaurant, Inc. d/b/a the Hawaii Sea Restaurant, located at 1475 Williamsbridge Road in the Bronx, NY (the “Restaurant”), or were exposed to someone who had done so, and
- you subsequently obtained a blood test and immune globulin (“IG”) or Hepatitis A virus (“HAV”) vaccination shot within thirty days after eating at the Restaurant. Excluded are persons who developed HAV infections after consuming food or drink at the Restaurant during the Class Period.
What Does The Settlement Provide?
Under the proposed settlement, the Defendants will pay a maximum total class compensation of $200,000.00. Each person submitting a properly qualified claim will be paid an equal, pro-rata, share of the $200,000.00 award.
How Do You Make a Claim?
To make a claim, you must submit a Claim Form so that it is received by the Claims Administrator on or before DECEMBER 16, 2016. You can obtain a Claim Form by downloading it here, by calling 1-800-742-3845, or by writing to the Claims Administrator at:
The Notice Company
New Hawaii Hepatitis Class Action
P. O. Box 778
Hingham, MA 02043
What Are Your Options?
- If you wish to receive a portion of the settlement, you must make a claim as described above.
- If you don’t want to be legally bound by the settlement, you must exclude yourself in writing by sending a written request for exclusion to the Claims Administrator so that it is received no later than DECEMBER 16, 2016, or you will not be able to sue, or continue to sue, New Hawaii Sea Restaurant about the legal claims in this case.
- If you stay in the Settlement Class, you may object to the settlement by filing with the Court, with copies to Class Counsel, a notice of intent to appear and/or object, no later than DECEMBER 16, 2016.
When Is the Final Approval Hearing?
The Supreme Court, Civil, County of Bronx, will hold a Final Approval Hearing at 10:00 a.m. on January 13, 2017, at 851 Grand Concourse, Bronx, New York, 10451. At the hearing, the Court will consider whether the proposed settlement should be granted final approval as fair, adequate, and reasonable, and in the best interests of the Class as a whole. The Parties will request that the Court enter a Final Approval Order. You may attend this hearing if you wish, but you are not required to do so in order to participate in the Settlement.
How Do You Obtain Additional Information?
Click here to obtain a copy of the Detailed Notice or to obtain a copy of the Settlement Agreement. Please do not contact the Court.